It’s that time of year, where a young man’s fancy turns to… playoff hockey.
It was down to the last couple of days in both conferences, with exciting games to determine playoff lives across the board. Our beloved Flames managed to make the playoffs, despite dropping the last four games, and are coming in with all the momentum of a stalled Pinto.
So here’s my bold (and inevitably incorrect) breakdown of the NHL’s first round, complete with one sentence analysis:
(8) Calgary over (1) Detroit in 7
Time to see if I learned anything from last year’s whiff, and if momentum means jack-all in a seven game series (as I hope).
(4) Nashville over (5) San Jose in 6
Could go either way, though I’m glad the Flames didn’t draw the Preds.
(2) Anaheim over (7) Minnesota in 6
(3) Vancouver over (6) Dallas in 6
Why did Florida ever trade Luongo?
(1) Buffalo over (8) New York Islanders in 5
Could be a sweep, but I could picture the Isles stealing one.
(4) Ottawa over (5) Pittsburgh in 6
Should be a fun series to watch, as Crosby gets his first taste of playoff hockey.
(2) New Jersey over (7) Tampa Bay in 5
Another possible sweep victim, but you just don’t know with Tampa Bay.
(6) New York Rangers over (3) Atlanta in 6
Everyone seems to be picking the Rangers to “upset” here, which is a mite worrisome.